This week's Movement of the Week is the Bilateral Dumbbell Swing with Bungee Row. In this movement you will be working with the coordination of the right and left side of the body.
We have been practicing incorporating an equal and opposite push / pull with other movements up to this point, and now you will be intentionally working with each motion on opposite sides using a bungee and dumbbell to create resistance.
This movement focuses on three components:
As you pull into the row, engaging the lat on one side of the body you're simultaneously pushing the dumbbell overhead using the glutes to create momentum through the swing on the opposite side of the body.
This movement feels really good as you find the flow through the movement and I am confident that you'll have a lot of fun practicing this movement.
Here's your checklist:
1. Start in a bilateral stance, feet hip width apart.
2. Hold the bungee in one hand, pulled into the row position.
3. Hold the dumbbell in the opposite hand, with the arm extended overhead.
4. As you hinge forward, swing the dumbbell along the side of your body while simultaneously extending the rowing arm out in front of you.
5. Reverse the movement by driving through the hips to power the dumbbell back up over head while simultaneously pulling the bungee into a row.
6. Have fun!
Hi! My name is Allison Hopkins and I am the owner of Wilcox Wellness & Fitness in Brunswick, ME. I am excited to bring WILCOX to Brunswick and share in my passion for living a great life through health and fitness.