This movement builds upon last week's movement, giving you even more time to practice this coordinated combination of movements. Last week's movement had three elements:
1. Hinging at the hips with a flat, neutral spine.
2. Stepping foot work.
3. Row with t-spine rotation.
This week we're adding a fourth element, a press.
If you think back to a few weeks ago the move of the week focused on going from a row position in a low lunge, pulling with the opposite hand as you stepped forward, and powerfully pressing overhead. These same principles apply to this week's movement in combination with last week's movement.
The movement starts out EXACTLY like last week's movement, starting in a split stance with the dumbbell in the hand on the same side as the back leg. You will swing the dumbbell between the legs while maintaining a flat back in your hinge. Next, you will step forward with the back foot and pull the dumbbell into the row, continuing to focus on your timing. Next is the new piece - you will take another step forward, pressing the dumbbell up over head while rotating slightly over your front leg.
This movement should be a ton of fun because you've already practiced 3/4s of the movement last week. I hope that you'll see how we can build upon movements by adding simple additions that incorporate new elements that benefit your whole body.
3/7 Dumbbell Swing to Step Row to Press - Movement of the Week Explainer by Allison Hopkins
Here's your checklist:
1. Start in your split stance with the dumbbell in the same hand as the back leg.
2. Hinge at the hips, keeping your back flat, as you swing the DB between your legs, rotating slightly over the front leg.
3. As you swing back up, using the momentum of the dumbbell, step forward.
4. As with the previous week's movements, timing is key. As your new front foot touches down, simultaneously pull the dumbbell into a row.
5. Using your free hand, pull into a slight row and step your back foot forward as you press overhead with the dumbbell.
6. Repeat in the reverse order, stepping backwards
7. Have fun!
Hi! My name is Allison Hopkins and I am the owner of Wilcox Wellness & Fitness in Brunswick, ME. I am excited to bring WILCOX to Brunswick and share in my passion for living a great life through health and fitness.