This movement builds upon a lot of skills that you've been working on in the gym.
The dumbbell swing focuses upon hinging through the hips while maintaining elevation through the ribs and a flat, neutral spine. The stepping movement builds off of the mobility stick steps that you've been practicing in your training sessions, and most recently in the pre-warm up activation sequence, where you will focus on maintaining your elevation and posture as well as foot work. And finally, the row builds off of the work we've been doing with the MOW over the past few weeks, activating the lat muscle by keeping the elbow in line with your torso, increasing range of motion through your row by increasing your t-spine rotation over the front foot, and squeezing your elbow towards your ribs.
This movement incorporates three elements - the hinge-swing, the step, and the row with rotation. It is a coordinated movement that will help to build a foundation for increasingly complex movements that are a ton of fun to practice.
As we always do with the move of the week, we will be breaking this down over the course of the week to help you dial into each of the three elements listed above, and then we'll tie it all together with the full movement at the end of the week. Take your time with it and have fun!
2/28 Dumbbell Swing to Step Row - Movement of the Week Explainer by Allison Hopkins
Here's your checklist:
1. Start in your split stance with the dumbbell in the same hand as the back leg.
2. Hinge at the hips, keeping your back flat, as you swing the DB between your legs, rotating slightly over the front leg.
3. As you swing back up, using the momentum of the dumbbell, step forward.
4. As with the previous week's movements, timing is key. As your new front foot touches down, simultaneously pull the dumbbell into a row.
5. Repeat in the reverse order stepping backwards.
6. Have fun!
Hi! My name is Allison Hopkins and I am the owner of Wilcox Wellness & Fitness in Brunswick, ME. I am excited to bring WILCOX to Brunswick and share in my passion for living a great life through health and fitness.