Not so fast!
I wanted to take some time this week to talk a little bit about setting ourselves up for success during the holidays.
It is so common for us to use the holidays as a big excuse to over indulge in all of the delicious treats that are available to us every where we turn.
The problem is that when we over do it during the holidays there can be major consequences.
When we stop nourishing our bodies with healthful foods and fill up on junk food all day long it can have an immediate impact on how we feel.
Does this sound familiar?
As much as the holidays are a fun time of year when we take part in the family traditions that mean so much to us, it's also a time of year that can be incredibly stressful for many of us. And when we're not at our best because we're living on junk food the negative implications can start piling up.
You will sleep better. You will have a more positive mindset. You will be less frustrated by traffic jams and long lines.
So, What's one to do?
There are so many temptations, and we all want to enjoy the holiday season, right?
Is depriving one's self of all of the indulgences of the holidays the way we want to spend it?
Christmas only comes once a year after all.
First of all, let's remember that we do want to enjoy the holidays.
Deprivation is NOT the answer by any means.
At Wilcox Wellness & Fitness we support the 80/20 rule.
That means that 80% of the time we should stay on point with our healthy habits, and the other 20% of the time we should take the time to enjoy what makes us the most happy.
The key is that the 20% should be spent on the things in which we take GREAT pleasure.
And during the holidays there are a lot of family traditions that involve not so good for us recipes that have been made for generations, holiday parties with friends and co-workers, and savory holiday meals around the table with the people who we love most.
These traditions are part of our culture. They are part of who we are. And the thought of eliminating these pleasures from our life is not only terribly sad, it's also unsustainable.
It's important to enjoy these traditions and take absolute pleasure in every moment, in every bite.....all in moderation.
MAKE A PLAN: Think about the parties that you have this week. Be sure to be on-point during the day leading up to the party. Eat a nourishing breakfast. Continue to nourish yourself throughout the day with healthy foods. Drink plenty of water. This way, when you arrive at the part you won't be starving and likely to eat everything in sight.
REDUCE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION: There's nothing wrong with enjoying a glass of wine or a cocktail at a holiday party, but drinking will cause us to snack on those savory snacks that are lurking around. Alcohol also has a lot of empty calories. So if you'd prefer to enjoy your co-worker's famous fudge that you look forward to each year, make the choice to enjoy the fudge rather than the obligatory glass of wine.
DRINK WATER: When I'm at social events I usually have a glass of water in my hand. This keeps my hands busy so I don't have the ability to carry around a plate of goodies that I don't really want, and it keeps me feeling full so I don't snack as much.
BRING A HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE: If you're going to a pot luck party, think about a healthier contribution to the food table. You may be surprised by how many people flock to your healthier choice. And it will ensure that you have a go-to that you can enjoy.
A favorite of mine is cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto. It's super easy to prepare and really delicious! Just chop up the cantaloupe into bite size pieces, wrap in slices of prosciutto, and hold together with a festive toothpick.
Most importantly, enjoy the holidays! Make every minute count. Christmas is only comes once a year after all!
Wilcox Wellness & Fitness, Brunswick
Learn more about our Five Habits for Massive Impact.
There is nothing we love more than supporting people along their health and fitness journey. Click the button below to allow us to support you (for free) as you implement these Habits for Massive Impact into your daily life. You will receive our full PDF of our Habits for Massive Impact as an instant download and a series of coaching emails from us to support you along your journey.
Do you want more guidance around implementing these habits into your life? Watch our 35-minute presentation to learn how these habits can make a MASSIVE impact in how you feel each and every day, and ways to start implementing these habits one step at a time.
Leave a Reply.
Hi! My name is Allison Hopkins and I am the owner of Wilcox Wellness & Fitness in Brunswick, ME. I am excited to bring WILCOX to Brunswick and share in my passion for living a great life through health and fitness.