This week's move of the week is the Walking Dynaball Rotation with Pivot Slam and I hope you have a blast with this fun variation on the dynaball slam. This movement will definitely challenge your brain body connection, and with practice you'll feel super accomplished when you put all of the pieces together.
You have been practicing elements of this movement whether you realize it or not! We have been practicing TIMING with our mobility stick walking, which is part of the pre-warm up activation sequence. The goal with this mobility stick walk is to propel yourself forward using your core, more specifically, your obliques. The timing comes with each step - as you pull your front foot backwards and propel yourself forward using your opposite side oblique the goal is to land your stepping foot at the same moment that you pull through your oblique into your rotation.
We are doing the same thing with this movement except that we're holding a dynaball instead of the mobility stick. After one step forward, and one step backward you will use your core to rainbow the ball up over head and pivot your feet to face in the opposite direction bringing the ball to the front of your chest. Next, you will pivot back in to your original direction, but this time you'll use your core and your breath to powerfully slam the ball. As you catch the ball you'll be set up to repeat the sequence of events again.
Try not to overthink this movement. We will break down the steps over the course of the week so that you're prepared to confidently put them all together by the end of the week.
Walking Dynaball Rotation with Pivot Slam- Movement of the Week Explainer by Allison Hopkins
Here's your checklist:
1. Start in a split stance with the ball in front of your sternum, slightly rotated over the front foot.
2. Step forward by pulling your front foot backwards against the floor, and using your opposite side oblique to pull you forward into your step.
Slightly rotate over the newly placed front foot.
3. Repeat this sequence stepping backward to your starting foot position.
4. Rainbow the ball up overhead, rotating in the direction of your back foot (if your left foot is back, start your rotation in the left direction) while pivoting your feet 180 degrees.
5. Land in your split stance with the ball in front of your sternum, slightly rotated over your front foot.
6. Rainbow the ball in the direction of your back foot to pivot 180 degrees back to your starting split stance. This time, as the ball and your body come back to the starting stance hinge slightly as you powerfully slam the ball into the floor.
7. Catch the ball and repeat :-)
8. Have fun!
Hi! My name is Allison Hopkins and I am the owner of Wilcox Wellness & Fitness in Brunswick, ME. I am excited to bring WILCOX to Brunswick and share in my passion for living a great life through health and fitness.