This week's movement of the week is a DB Lateral Swing to Lateral Step & Press
This movement probably looks a lot more complicated than it is. Check out the foot work. You can see in the video, it's just a lateral step back and forth. Make it easy for yourself and understand the footwork, the rest will fall into place.
As for the rest of the movement, we are letting the dumbbell move laterally with our stepping motion. As we gain length on one side, we will contract the other. Once the 'swing' has made it's way to one side, we will allow the dumbbell to get all the way back prior to stepping.
The timing of this will be crucial, do your best not to rush your step, wait for the dumbbell to 'pull' you into your step.
Finally, as you are stepping, use the momentum of the swing to press the opposite dumbbell overhead. This is very similar to our forward stepping press. We 'pull' from one side to lead the pressing side!
You've got this!!
Here's your checklist:
1. Strong unilateral stance, rotated over the front foot
2. Punch the dumbbell, setting up a full lateral swing
3. As the swing happens, take a lateral step in the direction the dumbbell is headed, finishing in a unilateral stance (you will have switched the lead foot)
4. As the dumbbell comes back in the direction it started, wait for the dumbbell to 'pull' you in that direction, take the lateral step at this moment (no sooner)
5. As you come back to the starting position, press the opposite side dumbbell over your head
Leave a Reply.