We are pumped for this week's movement of the week! It's always a good feeling to slam things into the floor! This week you will be practicing a familiar exercise and become an expert at the sequence of the entire movement! It's the 'High to Low Lateral Step Ball Slam'.
For this movement, we've got to create length & tension on 3 main areas of the body: the Lats, the obliques, and the glutes. You will practice 'firing' the lats and obliques on one side of your body while 'firing' the opposite glute (booty)! This combination of these 3 major muscles in sequence creates an explosive, powerful movement leading into your slam. Getty up!
Here are the techniques to practice:
1. Lengthen the lat & obliques
2. Contract the lats and obliques, then fire the legs
3. FOLLOW THROUGH!!!
By perfecting this sequence you will create incredible strength, flexibility, and athleticism. And, even more importantly, you will keep yourself from putting too much pressure on your neck, shoulders, low back, hips, knees, and feet!!!!!
Slow yourself down, learn how to perform the sequence, & then allow yourself to pick up some pace.
Here's your checklist:
1. Starting position is everything - EPIC STARTING POSITION
2. Lengthen the lat by slightly "shrugging" the shoulder
3. Use the lats and obliques to rotate your ribcage towards the slam side
4. Fire the leg (using the glute) and "rainbow" the ball across your forehead
5. Slam the ball and finish in a TALL standing position and allow your arms to follow through all the way behind you as far as they will go.
6. Regroup & Repeat!
The goal is to have one powerful rep at a time, reset with EPIC STARTING POSITION every single rep, this sets you up for success every single time. It also takes a lot of self-discipline to be patient enough to check in before each repetition. YOU CAN DO IT!
Wilcox Wellness & Fitness
WANT MORE OF THIS? Be sure to connect with us on Social Media. We post daily on both Facebook and Instagram for motivation, inspiration, and helpful tips, tricks, and strategies for healthy living. You can join our private Facebook group to go even deeper with us or book a call to see how you can get started training with us in person. We can't wait to connect with you and support you along your journey with healthy living!
Leave a Reply.